SPF- wear it on not?
As an Esthetician I can assure you that you will regret in 20 years from now for not having worn sunscreen when you look at your skin compared to friends and family who have worn daily sunscreen.
Top five reasons you should wear sunscreen:
- The ozone layer is depleting and our body needs shielding from harmful rays.
- Skin cancer rates are on the rise and sunscreen has been proven to decrease the development of skin cancer.
- It helps to prevent skin discolorations.
- It helps to reduce the appearance of facial red veins and blotchiness.
- It slows down the premature skin aging and wrinkles.
What about the need for obtaining vitamin D via the sun?
Most people can meet vitamin D requirements of 600 IU per day with daily 30 minutes outdoor activities, twice per week. Same result they can achieve by eating vitamin D rich diet of fish, milk, dairy, liver, eggs or taking vitamin D supplement. So prolonged sun exposure gives no extra benefits of Vitamin D production.
Medications, that increase risks of sun burns and damage.
There are many medications which may make the skin extra susceptible to sun. These include: anti-inflammatory, cardiovascular and acne medications.:
- Doxycycline and Minocycline used in the treatment of acne
- Topical acne products, such as vitamin A (Yes! your Retin A from Doctor office!)
- Benzoyl Peroxide.
Are there any natural sunscreen?
Yes. The newest sunscreens are formulated with either tinted mineralized zinc oxide or titanium dioxide that can bronze the skin or matched to skin color.
Are there any natural spray-on sunscreens?
Yes, Spray-on sunscreen are great for people who don’t like the feel of lotion on their hands or face. Great spray sunscreen to try is a Cosmedix Reflect.
Do I need to reapply SPF every 2 hours?
Yes. Most of the SPF stop working after 2 hours. If you plan to spend ore time outside then you need to reapply it after 2 hours.
For more info about skin care treatments visit our website at www.laestetica.co or call us at 415 787 2772